Convinced she could provide a higher level of legal services to clients at a more competitive rate in a setting where she had full authority to oversee all aspects of the attorney-client relationship, Donna Peavler went out on her own in 2002. At that point, she had only one client, but it was a great one – The Kroger Co.
In 2009, Donna happened upon a young lawyer fresh out of law school named Kyle Briscoe, who she quickly recognized as having exceptional talent and a trial presence that would one day make him a formidable trial lawyer. She fast-tracked him for partnership, making him a partner after just his fourth year of practice. Now she and Kyle have teamed up together to form PeavlerBriscoe. Together they provide top-level legal services to their ever-growing client list, including representation defending general-liability and nonsubscriber lawsuits, as well as handling commercial and insurance disputes for their clients. Together, Donna and Kyle have grown the firm’s client base to include an impressive list of national and local clients in addition to Kroger, including, for example, Target Corporation, Sysco Corporation, Macy’s, Best Buy, Bass Pro, United Supermarkets, QuikTrip, SuperValu, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Fiesta Mart, Omni Hotels, Gold’s Gym, etc.
Donna and Kyle have significant trial experience in both state and federal courts, trying cases both together and individually. But their acumen does not end at the trial-court level; they also have amassed numerous appellate wins, including multiple successes both in Texas state appellate courts and in the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. In addition, they have successfully prosecuted three appeals to the Texas Supreme Court, resulting in three published opinions by Texas’s highest court. In fact, together they helped rewrite Texas premises-liability and nonsubscriber law in their 2015 landmark case, Austin v. Kroger Texas L.P., in which the Texas Supreme Court held for the first time that a premises owner/employer owes no duty to warn or protect invitees/employees against premises hazards that are open and obvious or known to the invitee/employee.
Amidst their handling of trucking, premises-liability and commercial cases, Kyle and Donna have particularly focused on the unique area of law known as “nonsubscription,” and they are now recognized as leading authorities in that field. Donna has written numerous articles and appeared on HBO Vice News discussing nonsubscription. And both Donna and Kyle are actively involved in the two primary nonsubscription industry groups, the Texas Alliance of Nonsubscribers and the Association for Responsible Alternatives to Workers Compensation, and both speak at conferences and annual meetings on the latest developments in nonsubscription.
Donna, Kyle, and their firm have also received many honors. Donna’s honors include:
- Named a “Top Lawyer” by the Texas Lawyer.
- Named as one of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” by D Magazine.
- Rated “AV” by Martindale Hubbell, which means her peers have rated her as having the highest level of legal ability and ethics.
- Designated as top 10% “Honor Roll of Recommended Firms in the Retail Trade Industry” by BTI.
- Recognized as a “Lawyer of Distinction” by the American Bar Association.
- Named as a “Top Products Liability Attorney” by Law 360.
- Selected as “2011/2012 Woman of the Year” by the National Association of Professional Women.
- Named a “Texas Top Rated Lawyer” by ALM.
- Named “Litigator of the Week” by Texas Lawyer.
- Selected for inclusion in the Martindale Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers.
- Awarded Target’s “Bullseye Barrister” recognition in 2015 and 2017.
Kyle’s honors include:
- Named a “Rising Star” by the Texas Super Lawyers 2013-2018
- Named a “Top Attorney” by 360 West Magazine
- Named a “Lawyer Worth Knowing” by Fort Worth Magazine
The firm’s honors include:
- Selected by ALM as a “Go To” Law Firm for Fortune 500 Companies based on client recommendations.
- Recipient of The Kroger Co.’s Outstanding Women-Owned Business Award in 2004 and 2008.
Together, Kyle and Donna represent the perfect merger of legal talent, and PeavlerBriscoe is the avenue in which they now make their services available at a competitive rate to companies and individuals, large and small.